With the help of your Instant Pot, tender and rich beef in a luxurious sauce will be the star of any cozy winter dinner with Red Wine-and Shallot-Braised Short Ribs.
Kosher salt and pepper
sprigs fresh thyme
- Pat short ribs dry and season with 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper. Set Instant Pot to Sauté. Add oil and, working in batches, cook short ribs until browned on all sides, 10 to 12 minutes per batch. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add celery, garlic, and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Push vegetables to outside of pot and add tomato paste to center. Cook, without stirring, until bottom of pot is browned, about 1 minute.
- Add wine and simmer until reduced by half, 18 to 20 minutes. Add shallots, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, bay leaves, rosemary, and broth. Add ribs and any juices. Close and lock lid.
- Set Instant Pot to Manual High Pressure for 40 minutes. Natural-release for 15 minutes, then release any remaining pressure.
- Transfer short ribs (and any loose bones) and shallots to a platter. Discard thyme, bay leaves, and rosemary. Skim off any excess fat; then, using an immersion blender (or a standard blender), puree sauce until smooth, adding a pinch of salt if necessary. Serve over short ribs.